At the center of every heating and air conditioning system lies the thermostat. It is what you use to regulate the temperature in your home or office, and it is the part of your HVAC system that you interact with the most. Whether you need to replace an old thermostat or you want to upgrade to the newest model, call All Weather Heating & Cooling today at 919-967-9775.
At All Weather Heating & Cooling, we are fanatics about conserving energy, and one of the best places to start is with your thermostat. According to the US Department of energy, you can save between 1% – 3% on your energy bill for every one degree you raise your thermostat in the summer, or for every one degree you lower it in the winter.
If you have a manual thermostat and plan on being away for several hours, we recommend adjusting your thermostat 5 to 8 degrees to save on energy usage. You can adjust it every day on your way to work, and again when you get home. But who can remember to do that every day?
Today’s programmable thermostats make saving energy simple. You can program your thermostat to different temperatures for different times of the day, depending on whether you are normally home or away, sleeping or awake. Most models also offer the ability to set different schedules for weekends and weekdays.
WiFi Enabled Smart Thermostats
If pre-programmed heating and cooling schedules aren’t enough to fit your unpredictable lifestyle, or if you just like really cool gadgets, you may opt for a WiFi enabled “smart” thermostat such as the Lennox iComfort S30® Ultra Smart Thermostat (pictured). These high-end models will do practically everything but pay your taxes for you.
Some features include:
- Compatibility with Amazon Alexa. Need to raise the temperature a degree or two? Just use your voice and ask!
- Mobile app with GPS tracking. There’s no need to set a home and away schedule. When you leave your home or office, your thermostat knows your location. When you are on your way back, it knows. It can switch back and forth between energy saving mode and comfort mode based on your actual location.
- Real-time air quality monitoring. With real-time air quality and pollen level data by zip code, your thermostat can turn your fan on to filter the air and improve air quality.
- Filter reminders. Get reminders to replace air filters based on usage.
- Custom reminders. This includes service and parts replacement reminders.
- Active system monitoring. You and your equipment dealer can be notified if your system is experiencing any operational problems.
- Performance reports. Get hourly, daily, or monthly reports to keep track of your energy usage.
- Remote Capability. Control your thermostat remotely with your smartphone.
- Remote monitoring and troubleshooting. Your equipment dealer may be able to diagnose common problems without an on-site visit.
- Auto changeover. Switch between heating and cooling operation automatically.
- Large full-color touchscreen displays.
- 5 Day Weather Forecasts.
- Humidity Control.
Proper Usage of Programmable Thermostats
Programmable thermostats were designed to save energy without sacrificing your comfort. With proper use, they can save homeowners hundreds of dollars per year in energy bills. With improper use, the savings can be greatly diminished.
For many years programmable thermostats weren’t eligible for Energy Star certification. Due to the challenges that many homeowners had with programming their devices, some early adopters didn’t enjoy significant energy savings. Only recently in 2017 has a smart thermostat been able to receive the coveted Energy Star designation.
You should keep your temperature set at energy saving levels for as many hours at a time as possible. Eight hours is a good interval to start. Cycling the temperature up and down and overriding your thermostats programmed schedule more frequently will use more energy and put more wear and tear on your system.
If you live in Chapel Hill, Morrisville, Hillsborough or Durham and are interested in installing a new thermostat, contact the licensed HVAC pros at All Weather today at 919-967-9775.